Sunday, December 21, 2014

Quick Window Boxes for Christmas

'Tis the season to be super busy. My window boxes were empty, waiting for me to take the time to bring them to life once again. The problem is time, and I had almost given up on filling them with fall/winter plants. There are 7 boxes in front of our home and having them looking pretty immediately transforms the house. If they are empty, the house has a sad look. When I found these red cyclamen for half price, that motivated me to take the time and make some quick Christmas window boxes. Boy, am I glad I did!

Planting the window boxes is one of my favorite garden projects. Usually the project takes most of a day because I remove the soil, scrub them clean, add new potting soil and amendment, and fill them with lots of plants. This year I took some short cuts. The soil was soaking from recent rains and the boxes were very heavy, so I left them on the brackets and left the old soil. I added some amendment, this is my favorite for transplanting. 
I rarely lose a plant and have very little transplant shock if I add this when transplanting. After sprinkling some on top, I dug it in and loosened the soil to aerate it. Then I planted red cyclamen, white stock, and white pansies.
Typically I plant many more small plants in one window box. For these quick planters I just stuck in some small branches cut from the bottom of our Christmas tree. 
They filled the gaps nicely, were available and less expensive than another flat of flowers. Once they dry out, I will pull them and decide if the plants have filled in enough. If not I can easily add plants. 
This little angel has been in my garden for twenty years, watching over the window boxes. 




7 comments:

  1. Colorful, soothing to eyes and lovely decoration for empty, boring windows. Your passion of gardening brings life not only to windows but also to hearts. Seeing blooming flowers are always satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hearty flowers overhanging the river that runs through town, are chosen to be able to withstand the summer heat. Here begonias mix with petunias and a lavender mustard. From this bridge you can see two other bridges, all decorated with matching flower boxes on either side of the bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article
    drama wiki

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Packaging boxes are genuinely head for any kind of thing. Custom Window Boxes To pack your things in a cleaned way then, use these Custom Window Boxes with changed plans, styles, tones, shapes, and stocks. We are in a like manner offering screw-up free plans and free transportation helps all around the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When compared to other boxes available, their better form makes them stand out from the crowd. The Custom pillow boxes wholesale are used by retail establishments since they are popular with a lot of customers. At weddings, birthday parties, and other events, they can be utilised as party favours. As a finishing touch, you may add various adornments, ribbons, and coatings in the hues and patterns of your choice. Custom pillow box packaging has been demonstrated to significantly increase brand recognition and loyalty. The following are some criteria to consider while selecting personalised pillow boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Custom window boxes are frequently given as gifts to loved ones, family, and friends. You also have the option of purchasing window boxes to load several things without compromising their quality. Many manufacturers want to utilise custom window packing boxes because they can easily show off your products to clients and visitors. The Quantum Print is a great place to go if you want high-quality window boxes.

    ReplyDelete