Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Beautify an Ugly Fence with Bower Vine

Yes, I prefer pretty pink flowers to chain link fence any day.

My fence needed help. Actually it needed to be replaced, but buying a couple of bower vines was much cheaper than a new fence. Now no one knows that we have an ugly fence, it's our little secret.
The bower vine and jacaranda look beautiful together. Both are in full bloom right now and the sight is a major distraction from the work that should be done.

Who can blame me for gazing at the purple and pink flowers instead of pulling weeds?

Bower vine is one of my favorite vines. In my garden, it looks lovely all year. Even when it's not in bloom the foliage is pretty; green, shiny, vigorous yet delicate, and disease resistant.

This is a vine which will cover a fence nicely with a little training, but it doesn't really get out of control like honeysuckle. 

For such a vigorous plant, it is not very messy. It's a no-fuss kind of plant. I never do anything to mine; basically no pruning, no pest control, no fertilizer. It just performs beautifully year after year. It is getting a bit big so I will probably have to prune it soon. It's been pruned one other time many years ago.

And when the light catches the flowers, they seem to glow.
As I was taking these pictures I was reminded of the day many years ago when my daughter in her little 5 year old voice said that our house reminded her of Madeline's. Madeline was one of my daughter's favorite children's book characters.

"In an old house in Paris that was cover with vines, 
lived twelve little girls in two straight lines
They left the house, at half past nine...
The smallest one was Madeline."
-John Bemelmans

Oh, hearing that from my little one warmed my heart, and remembering it today made me smile.

2 comments:

  1. Chain link fence by a chain link fence wire crochet machine for all kinds of material and into, can be divided into the fold reduction, tighten the two side locks.residential fencing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have to put a trellis or wires to hold it to the fence? Is there anything under it holding it up? I have a standard 6 foot wood fence (the backside with the 3 cross beams).

    ReplyDelete